CMAAC, the Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture Association of Canada, is a non-profit, charitable organization registered with the Federal Government. From its inception in 1983, its mandate has been to lobby for regulation of TCM and Acupuncture for the best interests of the public and to protect the high repute of the TCM community. There are eight chapter offices across Canada along with chapters in Hong Kong. In 1987, CMAAC became a member society of the World Federation of Acupuncture-Moxibustion Societies (WFAS) which is the only international acupuncture organization recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO).
The CMAAC objectives include the:
- unification of practitioners of Eastern and Western Medicine;
- establishment of high standards of education and training for practitioners;
- promotion of TCM and Acupuncture;
- organization of international symposiums, and attendance at International Conferences to assist in the scientific exchange of research,
- education of the public; and
- protection of endangered species in partnership with World Wildlife Fund Canada (WWF).
In all these areas, we have achieved great success. TCM and Acupuncture is now a valuable part of mainstream culture thanks in part to the efforts of our members who have united behind a code of ethics. CMAAC has fostered alliances with the provincial and federal governments, and assists the Ministry of Health on many assignments.
(English) See LINK HERE for the application form.
(Chinese translated by CMAAC) See LINK HERE for the application form.
CMAAC Members: SIGN UP for our OFFICIAL E-Newsletters and Notifications
Subscribe to our new electronic mailing list and get quicker notifications and the latest up-to-dates of the TCM profession while helping the environment too! Join the list now!
CEU/PDA/ CPD: CMAAC strongly urges our members to keep up with your CEUs/PDA/CPD - and be ahead! Please check back regularly our website under "Continuing Professional Developement' for new seminars available in Canada. Any seminars that you know that will benefit our members? Please let us know!
CMAAC 30th Anniversary Celebration Dinner (CMAAC30) was a profound success!
CMAAC 30 in the MEDIA NEWS! April 30, 2013
Special thanks to our many volunteers, members, and sponsors in helping make this celebration the best ever in our CMAAC history! This event highlights our past achievements, but also many more achievements to come - this is just the BEGINNING for our TCM/A profession in Canada!
- BrokerTeam Insurance Solutions/Financial Solutions www.brokerteam.ca
- Shenglin Financial Inc. www.shenglin.com
- ProD Seminars www.prodseminars.com
- Ka Wing Hong Ltd. (416)609-8288 or 1-866-693-5333 -Chinese herbal wholesales
- Carbo Trading Co. Inc. www.carbo.ca
- HUB International HKMB www.hkmb.com
- Acupuncture Council of Ontario www.aco-web.com
- NATCM Hemorrhoids Centre www.natcm.ca
- Hummingbird Medical Tech Inc. www.hummingbird-medical.com
- Greenlife Inc. www.greeenlifestore.net
- Hunsing Enterprise LTD. www.hunsing.com
- Toronto School of TCM www.tstcm.com
(April 1, 2013) A Call to Action! Canada, it's time!
HST Exemption for Acupuncture Services Provided by TCM and Acupuncture Professionals (Petition Due Date: June 28, 2013)
The Federal Finance Minister’s Office had indicated to us that once a profession has been regulated as a health profession by at least five provinces, the services of that profession may be exempted from the GST/HST in Canada. Finally, with five regulated provinces in place, our acupuncture service will be eligible for the GST/HST exemption. We must emphasize that the HST exemption DOES NOT happen automatically; we as TCM/A practitioners may be entitled to an exemption but we will need to request and confirm that this is what our profession, throughout Canada, truly wants. Please read more and see the simple things the TCM community and the public can help!
UPDATE, April 27, 2013:Associations from five regulated provinces and supporting provinces (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI) are collaborating as ONE GROUP -the Canadian Coalition of Acupuncture Associations (CCTAA)- for this HST-exemption project.
CMAAC Newsletter: Read our May issue and Summary of the CMAAC's 30th Anniversary Celebration DInner May 15, 2013
**Now Available** Subscribe to our new electronic mailing list and get quicker notifications and the latest up-to-dates of the TCM profession while helping the environment too! Join the list now!
(Ontario) TCM Act proclaimed on April 1, 2013
The College has now included a list of registered TCM practitioners and Acupuncturists for the public to find. More names will be added as practitioners awaits their registration acceptability in the coming weeks.
April 15, 2013- CMAAC has always been a proponent of TCM/A regulation and we will continue to support the need of regulation for the public safety and credibility of the TCM/A profession. Unfortunately, the regulation has hit off at a rough start for plenty of practitioners. We know the College has been working hard, yet, with a total of 2, 300 application forms to process within a short time, the College needs more manpower to get the application forms done as quickly as possible and improve the flow of information to the practitioners. Practitioners are making their voices heard, so let's hope that solutions are being made so our TCM/A profession can finally move on to the next step and work on other important issues.
As an association, we are hoping the regulation will:
1. promote higher public profile
2. increase public confidence
3. improve referrals from other health professionals
4. improve health insurance benefits for our patients
5. improve collaboration within the TCM community across Canada
From that point on, CMAAC will be ready to move up to the next level with professional development ( ie. continuing education), advocate for our members (ensure the Dr.Title, fight for HST-exemption from our acupuncture services), and promoting the benefits of TCM/A in Canadian healthcare to the general public and other regulated health professionals. Much work needs to be done so will we need the collaborative effort of the TCM/A community to work together! April 15, 2013
PPT Guide to Grandparented Registration Application Form is now available!
CMAAC and the TCM Community in Ontario has been working together to offer Registration Application Form Workshops for our members.
Looking for a lawyer to notarize your registration application form? We have one who will provide a group discount for our members. Please contact (Chinese) Ming Fai Chan (416) 292-8682 or (English) CMAAC Head Office (519) 642-1970.
World Federation of Acupuncture-Moxibustion Societies: 8th World Conference on Acupuncture
November 2-4, 2013 in Sydney, Australia. CMAAC is looking forward to strong represention at this event!
Save time and money by clicking here to register online.
Early Bird Registration Closes: May 31, 2013
Regular Registration Closes: July 31, 2013
Update from World Health Organization (WHO, Nov. 29, 2012) on Traditional Medicine
The future is looking healthy for traditional medicine (which includes Chinese herbs) in this article.
CTCMPAO Updates (for Ontario: last updated April 10, 2013)
- The CTCMPAO has included a list of registered TCM practitioners and Acupuncturists for the public to find. More names will be added as practitioners wait for the registration acceptability. April 1, 2013
- News Release from the Ontario Government: Strengthening Safe, Regulated Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Jurisprudence Course Program: Next Jurisprudence Test now available: May 23, 2013. Application form will be posted the CTCMPAO website May 1, 2013. April 10, 2013
- Safety Program: May 8, 2013.The handbook can be downloaded from the CTCMPAO website for self-study and preparation for the Safety Program Exam. CMAAC now offers Safety Program Handbook in Chinese. Contact Ben Wu (in Toronto) or Head Office (if you require delivery).
- Professional Misconduct Regulation e-laws are out. Please review and provide feedback.
See what CMAAC has to say on Twitter...